- Covid-19 Economic AdvocacyIOE Overview Presentation
- Different Proposals to Tackle the Current CrisisPresentation by Thomas Obst, German Economic Institute (IW)
- Covid-19 and the World of WorkPresentation by Sangheon Lee, ILO
- Responding to the Most Serious Global Pandemic Crisis in A CenturyPresentation by Stefano Scarpetta, OECD
- The Coronavirus Pandemic: Economic and Social Impacts and ResponsesPresentation by José Manuel Salazar Xirinachs
Mercredi 25 mars 2020, 14h00-15h30 (Europe CST) (en anglais)
The global Covid-19 outbreak has strongly affected the private sector. There is an urgent need for coordinated, focused and efficient adaptation measures towards mitigating the impact on our communities.
The sustainability of enterprises is at risk, particularly SMEs, and they create millions of jobs which are at stake. Companies around the globe are implementing strategies to protect their employees, ensure business continuity and minimise the financial impact. For some companies the disruption of activities will have a lasting effect if they do not act immediately.
We have to act jointly. Complementarity among international organisations and multilateral actors and the business community is fundamental. The focus of this wide video-summit will be the following:
What is the current situation and economic impact in different countries with regards to Covid-19 and which measures are being taken to mitigate it? What measures are the most efficient for avoiding job losses? What works and what does not work based on previous financial and economic crises? What are the current predictions of job losses? Are there any proposals towards a fast economic recovery once the crisis has passed?
We will exchange on these issues with presentations from the OECD, ILO, the German Economic Institute,FUNCAS, and former Executive Director of the International Labour Organization,JoséManuel Salazar-Xirinachs, followed by an active discussion with all participants.
Join our digital conference on Wednesday 25 March 2020, 14:00–15:30 (Europe CST). We also encourage you to invite your member companies and federations:
Please register your participation with Marina Wiebusch at wiebusch(at)ioe-emp.com and make sure you don’t miss this session.
Welcome note: Roberto Suarez, IOE Secretary-General
- Sangheon Lee, Director Employment Policy Department, ILO
- Stefano Scarpetta, Director, Employment, Labour and Social Affairs, OECD
- Thomas Obst, Senior Adviser, German Economic Institute
- Renate Hornung-Draus, Managing Director, European and International Affairs, Confederation of German Employers' Associations (BDA)
- José Manuel Salazar-Xirinachs, Former Minister of Economics of Costa Rica, former ILO Executive Director
- Raymond Torres, Director for Macroeconomy and International Analysis, Fundación de las Cajas de Ahorros (FUNCAS)
Conclusions: Roberto Suarez, IOE Secretary-General